Monday, July 20, 2009

Weekend Recap: It’s my birthday?

Ok so my birthday was in May not over the weekend, but this weekend I got to pretend all over again! Part of my birthday gift from my sisters was to get to go see 9 to 5. I’m a huge Dolly Parton fan! (See, I told you I was meant to be Southern Belle)



So, Saturday morning I went into the city with and started the day off with a trip to Soho.

Why Soho? Well I was dying to get into Top Shop and see what all the fuss was about. On our walk over to Top Shop we stopped at this little gem called, “Baked by Melissa.” Seriously why did I not think of this sooner.

bakedbymelissa

It is a little pick up window outside of a local restaurant that sells cupcakes that are literally only one bite! They are the size of a silver dollar and come in 7 flavors. While the price doesn’t seem that bad we purchased 6 for $5.50 when you realize how little they are you suddenly see $$$ signs over the profit they must bring in.

bakedbymelissacupcake

So after that little trip me, my sisters and Mom were already plotting away trying to figure out what we could make mini to bring in big bucks!



Top Shop was next!



topshop

Overall it was really pretty. The layout, merchandising, floor design was amazing, but I didn’t really find anything that I had to have and I found it a bit pricey. I would go again, but I wasn’t too impressed.



We were now running short on time so we grabbed a cab and headed towards Times Square. It’s my least favorite part of Manhattan, but it’s where all the shows are so from time to time one must go there.



We grabbed a quick hotdog. I know some people hate to eat from street vendors, but to me there is nothing better than a street hot dog. I grew up in Manhattan and still remember leaving my Pre-K class and getting a hot dog everyday on our walk back home.

Plus if it’s good enough for Brad it’s good enough for me!

RANY MENY 240807 B

Ok so now we finally have made it see 9 to 5. I loved it! It’s always been one of my favorite movies. During the last scene

Allison Janney has a monologue where she discusses how hard women work and how they are still treated differently than men in the work place. It was amazing, because even though you know she is acting you can still totally tell part of it is really her screaming about it and she’s mad!

9 to 5 musical

We then hopped on the subway again and headed to the village to meet up with my Dad and eat at Sweetie Pie.



Walking into Sweetie Pie’s you feel like both Barbie and Alice from Alice in Wonderland decorated it and it’s a good thing! Hot pink tufted banquettes (check), glided birdcage that you can sit in (check), mirrors up the walls and on the ceiling(check), ballons galore (check), marble tables (check) secret mini door for the bathroom (check).

sweetiepie

While the food has gotten mixed reviews online I loved it! My mac and cheese was delicious, our drinks came with little animals perched on the rim and the dessert was amazing.



Freshly baked cookies arrived at the table with a warm dipping chocolate sauce along with a three scoop ice cream sundae, which got drizzled in more hot fudge courtesy of my Dad.



All in all it was a perfect day and I was even able to guilt my sister (that lives in the city) to come home with us for the rest of the weekend!



So, to my dear sissy’s thank you so much for spoiling me with all of that attention. I truly loved it and think it should happen everyday! It was filled with yummy food, great decor and most importantly the people I love the most in this world.



Well my loves I just spilled the details with what I did this weekend. What were you all up to?

Labels:

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, it's nearly lunchtime so your description of Sweetie Pie's made me even hungrier! I don't see what all the Top Shop fuss is about - I used to shop there when I lived in England ten years ago and it wasn't much different from Express or The Limited, at least not back then.

July 20, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger TheBeautyFile said...

This sounds like the best day everrrr! I love the mini cupcakes {besides the price}, topshop, hot dogs & that fabu pink restaurant!

July 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome! So glad BDAY part II was great! I love 9 to 5, too!

July 20, 2009 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Blair Friedeman said...

Wowee! You had a fantastic weekend it seems:) Mine was definitley boring in comparison!

July 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

wow, that pretty much sounds like the perfect day....I'm going to be heading to NY in September and am adding that adorable little restaurant on my list of places to go. Of course I'll be there for one day and already have like 6 restaurants on my list so it looks like I'll be wearing a mumu so I can eat it all.

July 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

What a fun girls weekend! Its always fun to be able to drag out your birthday as long as you can right?

Sweetie Pie looks so cute- what a fantastic idea for a restaurant, I am in love with all that pink.

I am still nursing my sunburn from this weekend, ugg- for someone who is usually so responsible I really am dumb sometimes. Lotion with SPF will be my new best friend so this doesnt happen again :)

July 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a DREAM birthday! My did you get pampered! I'm head over heels in love with Sweetie Pie form the photos - I MUST find a way to make it there one day!

July 20, 2009 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Design Esquire said...

It sounds like you had a great belated birthday weekend. The company, food and show all sound perfect! The highlight of my weekend was treating myself to a massage on Saturday - it was heavenly (and I had a gift certificate, which made it even better!).

July 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Bungalow Home said...

You can NEVER have too many birthday celebrations. Would love to know who did the interior of Sweetie Pie's? My daughter would live for that place--all pink and over-the-top girly

July 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

That sounds like a wonderful birthday! Those cupcakes look fantastic!!

July 20, 2009 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Lynett said...

I'm so jealous! I love NY and it's yummy hotdogs!!!!! Glad you had fun :)

July 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

What a FUN DAY!!!!! sweetie pie's sounds so awesome & your description was perfect!! hahah

we need to pick dates for you guys to visit i know--- where is the TIME GOING?!!! :(

xoxoxo

July 20, 2009 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Teresa Meyer said...

FUN weekend! Sweetie Pie looks so adorable and those mini cupcakes...yummmmmm!

Make me look forward to a "girl's weekend" in the city I have coming up soon. Woooooo!

July 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger Yansy said...

It sounds like you had an amazing time with your family. I love Sweetie Pie, every time I travel to NYC it's one of my first stops.

July 20, 2009 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger PS~Erin said...

Sounds perfectly perfect!

I spent the weekend hanging with the family... I had to make up for all the time my newly-back-to-work hubby was away from us. It was quite nice.

July 20, 2009 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

Happy late birthday..celebrate it as long as you can!

July 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Lauren Jade said...

happy belated bday!!! im so jealous.. :D im obsessed with NYC but who ISNT!

July 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

What beautiful photos of Sweetie Pie's.

July 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger Oliveaux said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend.The interior of Sweetie Pie is amazing. Ax

July 21, 2009 at 3:27 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Looks like a wonderful time! Sweetie Pie's looks just adorable! It's now on my list of places to visit!

July 21, 2009 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger Maureen Stevens said...

what a fun post-birthday treat! the cupcakes looked delish & I so want to check out Sweetie Pie right now!And Topshop, didn't know there's a store in the US already (where have I been right?). Thanks for the purchase btw! :))

July 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Honeygo Beasley said...

Happy belated birthday! : ))) Did you take that picture of Brad Pitt????

July 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Oh I am so jealous, sounds wonderful!

Are you going to Market in NY? Here is the link. It would be a great place to find more design sources for the company:

http://www.nyigf.com/

July 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Sorry folks, but that picture of Brad is from Google images! Bummer it wasn't taken by me.

Marianne,

Yup I'm going to market. It should be fun! Now why don't you plan a trip to NY and come with me. Pretty please...

July 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Alicia B. Designs said...

Happy Happy Birthday! I am so curious about that bakery shop now...must make a trip down there this weekend. I love a good cupcake--thanks! Looks like it was a wonderful day!
xoxo

July 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Okay now I am seriously thinking about it.....Where are you staying?

July 22, 2009 at 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was all set to drop some dough in Topshop but I didn't find anything I wanted! And OMG, I LOVE Dolly Parton too. I love everything about her and want to go to Dollywood but no one I know will go with me. :( Have you been? Maybe you and I should plan a trip . . .

July 22, 2009 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger A French Cloud said...

it's the PERfect day! and sweetie pie sounds to die for!

July 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger ###### said...

had belated birthday!

July 23, 2009 at 4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home